One of the most popular types of jewelry is the necklace. They are versatile, and they ca dress up an outfit or enhance an already elegant outfit. Whether you are purchasing a necklace for yourself or you are buying one for a gift, it’s a good idea to know what length of necklace will look the best.
There are three things to consider when you are choosing a necklace to wear or purchase.
- Face shape
Below we’ll look at these three categories in more detail to help you with finding the right necklace for you.
- Round or Oval – Search for necklaces which will elongate your face like those that are from 20-24”. This is going to help with framing your face effortlessly and will create a v-shape which brings the eyes down.
- Oblong or Square – A shorter necklace or around 16” to 18” or choker is going to help with softening your face’s angles and highlighting your longer neck.
- Heart-Shaped - This is similar to the square and oblong shape. You should choose necklaces from 16” to 18” to help with softening the angles of your face.
If you are short or tall, chances are that you are going to have a hard time finding the right necklace length. If you are short, you probably find that the longer necklaces are too long. On the other end of the spectrum, tall women find that the necklaces that are ‘longer’ will sit too short on their torso. Below are some height examples that you can use for finding the right necklace lengths.
- Short –If you’re 5’4” and under, look for a necklace that will help with elongating your frame. However, it shouldn’t hang really low. If you want something shorter, go for one that is 16” to 18” long, since this will help correctly fitting your proportions. If you want something longer, choose one that is 20” to 25” since it’s going to effortless hang.
- Tall – If you’re taller, you usually can wear a necklace of any length. However, the longer ones are going to work well since they’ll accentuate your frame’s height. When you want something shorter, make sure the size of the necklace will complement the shape of your face.
- Regular Height – If you are anywhere between 5’4” – 5’7”, you can wear any length of necklace. However, don’t forget to consider your body type and face shape before buying.
One of the often-overlooked factors when it comes to buying a necklace is neck size and body type. If you’re a woman, your bust size or dress size can be a factor with how necklaces are going to sit against your body. If you have a larger bust, you should choose a shorter necklace and avoid ones that are longer than 24 inches, since they aren’t going to comfortably sit. If your bust is smaller, then layered, longer necklaces are going to look wonderful. This is the same for a neckline. If your neck is thicker, than you want to avoid chokers since they’ll cause your necklace to look shorter. If your neck is thin and long, wearing a choker can give your face and neck proportion.
- Athletic – If you have an athletic shape, you can generally wear any kind of necklace, though a longer necklace can help with elongating your body much more.
- Hourglass – If you have an hourglass-shaped body, try a necklace that will sit on your cleavage so that you are accentuating your curves.
- Pear – Since your body’s smaller on its top when compared with the bottom, search for the necklaces that will help with broadening your shoulders. Necklace lengths from 18” to 24” will work well since they’re just sitting above the bust and will draw attention to the upper part of your body.
- Inverted Triangle – Since your shoulders are broader, necklaces with longer lengths are going to help with bringing everyone’s eyes to the area of your waist, highlighting your body’s smallest part.
Finally, we’re going to look at some of the common types of necklines and the types of necklaces that you should wear with each.
- Turtleneck – Long chain or pendant
- Crew – Collar or bib
- Scoop – Shorter pendant w/volume
- Strapless – Choker
- Square – Angular pendant
- Off-shoulder – Asymmetric
- Halterneck – Slim pendant
- V-neck - V-shaped pendant
- Collar – Choker or short pendant
- Boat Neck – Long beads
- Cowl Neck – Choker or short pendant
- Sweetheart – Curved pendant or beads
Now that you know what type of necklace to buy, shopping for a necklace for yourself or as a gift should be a lot easier. There are many different types of necklaces for sale for good prices here, so come take a look and see what is available.