Types of Blankets
Cashmere: Cashmere’s often preferred when compared with other kinds of fabrics since it’s softer than wool. It also insulates much better, so that you are toasty and warm when the weather is cold. Cashmere’s fibers also are tight and strong, meaning it’s not going to easily break apart or feel really heavy.
Cotton- Cotton is long-lasting and breathable, even when it’s been washed multiple times. it gives you a fluffy and soft fabric, and it’s very popular because it’s very durable and relatively inexpensive.
Fleece – This is really soft and lightweight. It’s also perfect for just about any season. Although it’s thinner when compared with other types of fabrics, it’s still very comfortable and warm. It’s made from acrylic fibers, and it’s preferred by many because it’s affordable and machine washable.
Alternative Mink – This is a lustrous material that looks like fur but is made from synthetic material. It gives you the coziness and warmth that fur gives you but without worrying about harming an animal or paying really high prices.
Berber Fleece – This textured material is soft, warm and lightweight. It’s made from synthetic fibers and is often compared with fur because of how soft it is. It also gives you great insulation to help you with staying warm even when the temperature is at its coldest. It also repels water, so that you can wick moisture away so that you stay comfortable.
Microplush – Also called microlight and microtec, this thick, non-pilling and ultra-soft material is great to be used alone. You can also layer it with a coverlet, quilt or comforter. These blankets are luxuriously soft and are affordable. You also can wash them in the washer, making them very simple to maintain.
DOWN - These blankets are filled with duck or goose feathers to create a fluffy and thick blanket. It’s very good at insulating but it’s breathable so that you can stay cool during the summer yet warm during the winter. Down is sought after because it regulates your body temperature even though it’s not really heavy. This option is more costly because it’s very high quality when compared with other blankets.
Down alternative = This blanket is a wonderful substitute than the down blankets. These kinds of blankets are made from synthetic fiber, making them hypoallergenic and cruelty free. These blankets are also great options because they also regulate your body temperature like the down blanket, but it’s a lot more affordable. It’s a great option for those with allergies. Even though this shares a lot of similarities with the costlier option, it often weighs more and isn’t insulated as well.
Electric Blanket – These are made from synthetic fibers and they have a thermostat that you can adjust, along with heating elements running through them. You can make it as warm as you wish and they are perfect for the really cold months when you need some more warmth. They come in many styles, fabrics and colors based on what you prefer.
Now that you know the types of blankets that you can choose from, here are a few questions that you want to ask yourself.
What’s My Budget?
The first thing you want to do is ask how much you can spend on a blanket. As you can see, there are a lot of options out there in different prices, so you want to think about the amount that you can afford before you make your decision.
Who is Sleeping in My Bed?
The second thing you want to consider is who is sleeping next to you? If you sleep alone, then you have a lot more choices than if someone else is sleeping beside you. However, if someone else shares your bed, you have to think about their comfort level and needs as well.
Do I have Any Allergies?
Next, you will want to consider allergies. As has been mentioned above, allergies is one of the biggest things to consider when you are choosing a blanket. Things like wool, feathers and other natural fibers can create a problem with those who are prone to allergic reactions.
What Type of Climate Do I Live In?
If you live in an area where it gets very cold, chances are that you are going to want something heavier than if you live in a climate that is only cool a few days out of the year. After all, you want to get as much use out of your blanket as you can.
Until now, we have been talking mostly about blankets to use in the bedroom. However, these types of blankets aren’t the only type that are on the market. There are also throw blankets. Below are some of the benefits of having throw blankets in a room.
Benefits of Throw Blankets
- They Add to Décor – The first thing that a throw blanket offers to a room is that they add to the room’s décor. You can find throws in a lot of colors, so it’s always easy to find one that will match or enhance your décor.
- They’re Convenient – The second thing that a throw blanket offers you is that they are convenient. Picture this – you’re reading a book and suddenly you are chilly. Putting a blanket over your lap or around your shoulders is a lot easier if you have a throw blanket in the room. Not only that, but it’s a lot cheaper than turning up the heat, too!
- They’re Cozy – The third benefit of a throw blanket is their coziness. There’s just something so cozy about having a throw blanket in your room that makes it incredible and creates a warm, cozy feeling for you and your family.
- They’re All Season – Finally, throw blankets can be used throughout the year. Since they are relatively lightweight, you don’t have to worry about switching them out (unless you want to have one for the holidays). You don’t have to worry about putting them away when the summertime comes. They’re especially handy if someone likes running the air conditioning and you’re just not enjoying it!
- They’re Big Enough to Share – Few things are more fun than cuddling under a blanket together. You can fold your throw blanket over to have multiple layers of warmth or you can unfold it and snuggle with your honey or a sick child.
We hope that you have found this blog to be helpful for finding the perfect blanket. If you have any questions, please let us know. We are always glad to help you in any way we can. Keep coming back, because we are always adding helpful tips for you.
We also have a lot of great deals in our store, so check and see what we have to offer. We are sure that you will find something to love.